Former NFL player Jonathan Martin detained by police after Instagram post


Jonathan Martin, who played three seasons in the National Football League as an offensive lineman, was taken into custody for an ominous post to his private Instagram account, Matt Stone of ABC News reported.

While the incident has been publicized on dozens of social media platforms and news websites such as that of the New York Post, the Los Angeles Police Department, which discovered Martin outside of West Hollywood, essentially refused to discuss it.

Per the Los Angeles Daily News, the man was located in Southern California and detained pending further investigation by LAPD's Major Crimes Division. According to a report, Martin has now been moved to a mental health facility.

The former offensive lineman attended Harvard-Westlake High School, a Los Angeles prep school, which was closed after city officials reportedly sent an alert around 7am local time warning students of a "security risk".

According to these outlets, the Instagram story featured a post with a shotgun and the words, "When you're a bully victim & a coward, your options are suicide, or revenge". "The barrel of the shotgun had "#HarvardWestlake" written on it, while "#MiamiDolphins" was written on the stock.

The former student, who is now an adult, made no direct threat against one of the schools, Kuey said.

Jonathan Martin Instagram
Twitter Nick Brown

Harvard Westlake shut classes down on Friday amid the threat.

Police have stationed extra patrols around the area of the Harvard-Westlake campus, and school officials chose to close the campus on Friday. "We are working closely with law enforcement and will share more information when we are able".

Stone also tweeted a screenshot of the image Martin posted in his Instagram story. That was brought to a whole new level last week after a former student killed 17 people in a shooting at a Florida high school.

Martin was famously involved with the Miami Dolphins' bullying scandal in 2013 when he accused Richie Incognito and other teammates of bullying and harassment. In August 2015, he said he attempted suicide on multiple occasions.

The Dolphins selected Martin in the second round in 2012. The Carolina Panthers claimed Martin off waivers in March, but Martin retired before training camp opened in 2015, citing a back injury. Incognito was suspended by the team for three months after Martin left the club midway through the 2013 season.