U.S. welcomes Saudi-led coalition's move to keep Yemen port open

Share

Six months after, that number has now risen to 1 million people, with a new wave of cholera expected in March or April next year.

According to the United Nations, Yemen is experiencing the worst humanitarian crisis in the world, with 8 million citizens on the edge of starvation.

"It's probably unavoidable. We need to be ready to face another big epidemic", said Mr Poncin, adding that cholera may become a long-term burden as it has in Haiti. "The places where the war is active are the ones most at risk for increase of disease".

"This is the world's worst recorded outbreak, a man-made tragedy driven by more than a thousand days of a relentless and ruthless war", Stevenson added.

The ICRC said the outbreak was "amplifying the suffering of a country caught up in a brutal war".

Another problem is the appearance of diphtheria, which is a disease that has not been seen in the country for the past 25 years but has now infected 312 people and took the lives of 35.

The war has killed more than 10,000 Yemenis, mostly children, displaced 3 million, and triggered the world's most humanitarian catastrophe.

"As the Houthis lose territory and the scant support they have left in Yemen, they have attempted to broaden and further complicate the conflict by increasing their attacks against Saudi Arabia and by threatening to attack the UAE".

Saudi Arabia and a group of its allies have been bombing Yemen since 2015 to put its former Riyadh-friendly government back in the saddle.

The Western-backed coalition, which controls Yemen's airspace and port access, said last month it would allow humanitarian relief through Hodeidah following a almost three-week blockade imposed because of a missile attack towards the Saudi capital's worldwide airport.

Ambassador to Riyadh Adnan Alonto reported on Tuesday the successful interception by Saudi authorities of a ballistic missile launched from Yemen that targeted a populated area in Riyadh. But UN aid agencies said the move was not enough, and want a complete reopening of all Yemeni ports, including Hodeidah port, the only port to northern Yemen, which is under Houthi control.

Saudi-led attacks on the northwestern al-Hudaydah Province also killed three civilians.

Share