Police in NY respond to report of explosion


The suspect in the incident at the Port Authority Bus Terminal, a block from Times Square, was identified as Akayed Ullah, the New York Police Department commissioner said. The explosion, which happened around 7:30 a.m.in a passageway under 42nd Street between 7th and 8th avenues, triggered a massive emergency response by the NYPD and FDNY both above and below ground, tangling subway and bus service.

- He then switched to the A train at Jay St./MetroTech stop in Brooklyn before leaving the train at the Port Authority Bus Terminal stop in Manhattan, the same law enforcement official says.

Being treated: Ullah is now at Bellevue Hospital, where he is being treated for lacerations and burns to his hands and abdomen, New York City Fire Department Commissioner Daniel Nigro said. The device was reported to have gone off prematurely, and the explosion was recorded on surveillance camera.

The police have confirmed that apart from the suspect, three other people have suffered non- life-threatening injuries.

Preliminary information, according to two law enforcement sources, one local and one federal, indicates a pipe bomb may have unintentionally exploded.

- Ullah held a New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission for-hire vehicle driver's license from March 2012 through March 2015, NYC TLC Deputy Commissioner for Public Affairs Allan J. Fromberg said in a statement to CNN.

Former New York police chief Bill Bratton told MSNBC television that he had been told the suspect was originally from Bangladesh and may have been acting in the name of the Islamic State group.

The A, C and E subway lines were being evacuated, Sgt. Brendan Ryan told HuffPost.

Fox tweeted that two were injured in a "pipe bomb explosion" in the subway system, one of whom was the alleged bomber. "It was scary. It was just a lot of chaos but I didn't see any injuries". "The reality turns out to be better than the initial expectation and fear", said New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo. It was the first deadly terror attack in NY since 9/11.

On Oct. 31, a motorist in a rented pickup drove down a lower Manhattan bike path, killing eight people and wounding a dozen more before crashing into a school bus. She also said the attack wouldn't intimidate her from returning to the city.