Netflix Is Cutting Ties With Kevin Spacey After Sexual Misconduct Allegations

Share

House of Cards may go on with its sixth and final season, but it will do so without Kevin Spacey.

"MRC and Netflix have made a decision to suspend production on House of Cards season 6, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew", Netflix and Media Rights Capital announced in a joint statement on October 31, 2017. Now speaking to CNN, the workers (who asked to remain anonymous out of fear of professional repercussions) described Spacey's behaviour on the House of Cards set as "predatory", highlighting instances of non-consensual touching and crude comments - particularly targeting young male staffers.

In an interview with BuzzFeed, actor Anthony Rapp said he attended a party at Spacey's NY apartment in 1986, when he was 14.

Netflix had already paused production of House of Cards season 6 in the wake of the disturbing allegations made by Anthony Rapp that dated back to when Rapp was a teenager.

Netflix executives have also pulled the plug on Spacey's upcoming movie Gore, which had been in post-production.

Frank Underwood could get impeached from his own show.

Spacey's longtime publicist, Staci Wolfe, and talent agency, C.A.A., both dropped him Thursday, according to the Los Angeles Times.

One crew member, who has worked on the show - which has suspended production indefinitely in light of allegations against its lead star - claimed he was regularly touched inappropriately by Spacey but didn't "feel comfortable" asking him to stop. "We will continue to work with MRC [Media Rights Capital studio] during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show".

MRC said it was "deeply troubled" by the latest allegations, had implemented a complaint hotline and offered crisis counsellors and legal advisors to the crew, and would "thoroughly investigate" all claims formally brought to its attention.

In London, The Old Vic has been accused of covering up allegations of groping and inappropriate sexual behaviour by Spacey.

The Old Vic was "not now in a position to comment on specifics", it said. Since then, eight current and former House of Cards employees have come forward anonymously, alleging they experienced inappropriate sexual conduct from Spacey on the Netflix show's set.

Share