Student Stabbed to Death at New York City School

Share

The motive for the attack is unconfirmed, but investigators believe the attacker may have been the target of ongoing bullying, according to the New York Post. But he didn't specify why, Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said Thursday.

Mayor de Blasio and Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina were on hand to welcome students back into the troubled school less than 24 hours after the stabbing spattered blood across a fifth-floor classroom. Chief Boyce added that it appeared the three students involved had been in a dispute since school started this year.

Boyce said Wednesday that the two victims had been chucking pencils at Cedeno about 10:40 a.m. when he pulled out the knife that he had bought on Amazon two weeks earlier and stabbed them both in the chest.

It's situated in a building that also houses a public elementary school.

The effort reflects a growing interest in NY and beyond in establishing charter schools that enroll students from a mix of backgrounds, which research suggests can benefit students and is considered one remedy to school segregation.

He is facing multiple charges including murder, attempted murder and manslaughter.

The prime accused, an 18-year-old, was arrested from the site of incident. The class had been going for 30 minutes, when a confrontation occurred and the stabbing took place, police said. A counselor in the hallway confronted him and took the knife and he walked to the assistant principal's office, where he sat until police arrived.

The New York City Department of Education - the largest school district in the country, with more than 1.1 million students in more than 1,800 schools - has had just one other homicide on school property in the last decade, in 2014 when a 14-year-old boy was killed in front of his Bronx middle school.

Hornbeck said Cedeno often returned home in tears after enduring the bullying of McCree and the second stabbing victim Ariane Laboy, 16.

McCree, was stabbed in the chest, and after Dean Sampson performed CPR, the 15-year-old was transported to St. Barnabas Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The attack is sparking a debate about metal detectors.

Police said Cedeno had not gone to school officials before with any complaints of harassment. The school did not have metal detectors, though wands and detectors were brought in Thursday morning for random screenings.

"I tried to called the school".

Giselle Estevez, the mother of 9- and 13-year-old girls, said she'd seen violence at the school before and this latest attack was the final straw.

The father rushed to the school, where he saw his daughter, a kindergartener, through a window waving to him.

Share