North Korea threatens to reduce USA to "ashes and darkness"

Share

"Japan is no longer needed to exist near us", the Korea Asia-Pacific Peace Committee said in a statement.

The committee said the United States should be "beaten to death like a rabid dog", for the "heinous sanctions resolution".

On 11 September, the UNSC unanimously agreed to step up economic sanctions imposing a ban on the North's textile exports and capping crude oil imports.

"The four islands of the [Japanese] archipelago should be sunken into the sea by the nuclear bomb of Juche", the committee said via Korean state news agency KCNA.

A USA official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said intelligence agencies had observed North Korea moving the launcher within the past 48 hours, potentially indicating another looming test. "Our army and people's resentment at the South Korean puppet regime is getting stronger", the statement said.

In late August, the regime launched a ballistic missile over northern Japan in what it said was "muscle-flexing" to protest annual military drills between the US and South Korea.

'I'd like to appeal to the world, together with Prime Minister Modi, that we need to have North Korea change its policy through the thorough implementation of the newly adopted Security Council resolution by the worldwide community'.

Reacting to the vote on Thursday, North Korea said the USA ought to "be beaten to death" for spearheading the penalties.

The latest sanctions come as North Korea continues with missile tests, last month firing an unidentified ballistic missile over northern Japan. This came following the issuing of fresh United Nations security council sanctions, in response to Pyongyang's recent nuclear test. "Let's reduce the U.S. mainland into ashes and darkness", the communist outlet reported, also vowing to resort to "all retaliation means which have been prepared till now".

South Korea's Unification Ministry also said it planned to provide $8 million through the UN World Food Programme and UNICEF to help infants and pregnant women in the North.

Tokyo blasted the North Korean statement as "extremely provocative and egregious". "It is something that markedly heightens regional tension and is absolutely unacceptable", Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told reporters.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe called the previous launch "an unprecedented, grave and serious threat", while Trump reiterated that "all options" are under consideration in response to Pyongyang's actions. Even if China and Russian Federation do fully enforce the latest sanctions, there's still considerable doubt about whether the stranglehold will force Kim to rethink the development of North Korea's nuclear weapons.

The statement from the North Korean state-controlled news agency also had a disturbing message for Japan.

Share