State Department expected to address latest North Korea threats in news briefing

Share

Gorka then used an anecdote involving a Holocaust survivor to suggest North Korea's threats against the United States was somehow similar to that posed against Jews by the Nazis in the Second World War.

"That would be the clearest indication that we were headed toward war", Pollack says.

The statement says that "only absolute force" can work on someone as "bereft of reason" as Trump.

During a BBC radio interview on Thursday, White House adviser Sebastian Gorka criticized Secretary of State Rex Tillerson for comments he made earlier in the week assuring Americans that nuclear war with North Korea was not an imminent possibility.

"We respectfully but firmly urge you to do everything in your power to ensure that President Trump and other administration officials understand the importance of speaking and acting with the utmost caution and restraint on this delicate issue", the letter said.

"I was not elected, the American people elected the president", he said. "We never do. I don't talk about it", Trump told reporters when asked about a preemptive strike. "The Secretary General welcomes all initiatives that will help deescalate tensions and welcomes a return to diplomacy". But the fact that the USA and North Korea are still talking while mutually threatening each other with missile fire shows that the public drama doesn't translate to private anger or calls to action.

"China should make clear that if North Korea launches missiles that threaten US territories and triggers USA retaliations, China will stay neutral".

"You're not just threatening people because you want to threaten them, you're threatening them because you want them to take offerings", Wit said.

North Korea has announced a detailed plan to launch a salvo of ballistic missiles toward the U.S. Pacific territory of Guam, a major military hub and home to U.S. bombers, a move that if carried out would be its most provocative missile launch to date.

In a statement on Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of Defense James Mattis said that the Department of State is "making every effort" to resolve the crisis diplomatically, however emphasized the that the U.S. has the "most precise, rehearsed and robust defensive and offensive capabilities on Earth".

Share