Blowing out Birthday candles increases bacteria on cake by 1400 percent

Share

A group of researchers at Clemson University, South Carolina, recently looked into the matter, studying the spread of bacteria on birthday cakes.

The frosting on the cakes with candles had way more bacteria than the other cakes.

But the researchers also stressed that the bacteria in your mouth isn't harmful, so as long as the candle-blower isn't sick, we shouldn't have to worry. At least that's the verdict from a recent study done at the Clemson University in SC.

You may want to rethink accepting a slice of cake after the birthday boy or girl blows out the candles. They then stuck candles in the "cakes", lit them, and blew on some of the cakes but not others. Therefore, they made a decision to simulate a party environment and see what happens when one blew his birthday candles.

Maybe it's best to just not think about it and to keep on eating cake the way we have for decades. The study notes that the tradition of blowing out candles on a cake is a time-honored tradition that spans both generations and borders.

And in one frightful case, the number of bacteria increased more than 120 times - suggesting that some of us transfer more germs than others. In fact, it might even date back to Ancient Greece, meaning that people have been eating cake after someone blew the candles on top of it and nothing bad happened.

"You have one or two people who really for whatever reason... transfer a lot of bacteria", he added.

"It's not a big health concern in my perspective", study co-author Paul Dawson told the Atlantic. This means you can have your cake and eat it too.

"In reality if you did this 100,000 times, then the chance of getting sick would probably be very minimal".

Share