His parents, Chris Gard and Connie Yates, fought for months in a heart-wrenching court case that weighed their rights to keep their son alive against the desire of doctors to let him die to spare him pain and suffering.
Now that the legal battle, and Charlie's battle, is over - one hopes that the parents did manage to have those final moments of tranquility that they so desperately wanted with their son.
Following news of the boy's death, US Vice President Mike Pence tweeted: "Saddened to hear of the passing of Charlie Gard. Karen & I offer our prayers & condolences to his loving parents during this hard time".
The case caught the attention of Trump and the pope in late June after the European Court of Human Rights refused to intervene.
His parents abandoned a five-month legal battle on Monday to have him moved from Great Ormond Street hospital and taken to the USA for experimental treatment after research showed his genetic condition was irreparable. "My thoughts and prayers are with Charlie's parents Chris and Connie at this hard time".
And Vice President Pence said on Twitter that he was "saddened to hear of the passing of Charlie Gard".
'Our handsome little boy has gone, we're so proud of him, ' Ms Yates said in a statement yesterday after confirming he had died just one week before his first birthday on August 4.
But the boy's parents gave up their battle last week, saying "time has run out", after they were shown scans indicating that his condition had deteriorated too far.
"We just want some peace with our son, no hospital, no lawyers, no courts, no media, just quality time with Charlie away from everything to say goodbye to him in the most loving way", Yates told SkyNews on Thursday.
The 11-month-old was moved to a hospice following a High Court ruling.
British courts decided Charlie should be allowed to die after a heartbreaking legal battle in which doctors asserted that the child had no chance of survival and Charlie's parents argued there was an experimental treatment in the United States they had not tried. In a statement, the hospital said Hirano had not visited Charlie, viewed his brain imaging or read any of the second opinions about the case.
Mrs May said: "I am deeply saddened by the death of Charlie Gard".
Medical ethicist Arthur Caplan said the case shows how the medical profession is struggling to adjust to the age of social media, which puts the general public in the middle of decisions that in the past would have been private issues for doctors and the family.
Doctors, nurses and other staff at Great Ormond Street Hospital received messages containing death threats.
Saddened to hear of the passing of Charlie Gard. Karen & I offer our prayers & condolences to his loving parents during this hard time. The hospital said it contacted police following a "shocking and disgraceful tide" of hostility, after the High Court hearing on Charlie's condition.
The heated commentary over Charlie prompted Judge Francis to criticize the effects of social media and those "who know nearly nothing about this case but who feel entitled to express opinions".
"It is impossible for any of us to comprehend or even begin to imagine the agony to which Charlie's parents have been subjected in recent weeks and months as they have had to come to terms with the decision that they have now made", he said in a judgement.