The council said North Korea's illegal missile and nuclear activities "are greatly increasing tension in the region and beyond" and expressed "utmost concern" at its "highly destabilizing behavior and flagrant and provocative defiance" of six United Nations sanctions resolutions.
The 15-member council said in the statement that the April 15 missile launch, even if it ended in failure, is a clear violation of U.N. Security Council resolutions.
UNITED NATIONS The United Nations Security Council on Thursday condemned North Korea's latest missile test and demanded Pyongyang not conduct any more nuclear tests in a statement that was delayed as the United States and Russian Federation sparred over its language.
Last month, the council was united in strongly condemning the launch of three missiles and expressed serious concern over Pyongyang's "increasingly destabilizing behavior".
"In the case of our super-mighty preemptive strike being launched, it will completely and immediately wipe out not only us imperialists' invasion forces in South Korea and its surrounding areas but the usa mainland and reduce them to ashes", it said.
The Bush administration had removed North Korea from the list of state sponsors of terrorism in 2008 after North Korea agreed to continue disabling a plutonium plant and permit access for inspections to verify that it froze its nuclear program.
Petrostates Seek a Goldilocks Oil Price
WTI was trading 30 cents lower at $52.35 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange at 10:34am London time on Tuesday. Citigroup said OPEC output cuts will be able to offset the response of USA producers to higher prices.
The newspaper said the strike "will completely and immediately wipe out not only USA imperialists' invasion forces in South Korea and its surrounding areas but the US mainland and reduce them to ashes".
Guterres said countries "on the frontline" of the crisis - China, the United States, Japan, South Korea, Russia - must spare no effort to prevent a military buildup from Pyongyang.
Vice President Mike Pence, on a tour of the region, warned this week that "the era of strategic patience is over" when it comes to USA policy toward North Korea.
"We fully support the efforts of all states in order to make sure that North Korea does not acquire the capacities that would become a threat not only to the region but in a wider area of the world", he told reporters.
US Ambassador Nikki Haley separately stressed that the onus was on North Korea to prevent an escalation.
South Korea's acting president, Hwang Kyo-ahn, at a meeting with top officials on Thursday, repeatedly called for the military and security ministries to maintain vigilance.