While not many people have publicly supported O'Reilly since the New York Times revealed that he had paid almost $13 million in five separate sexual harassment settlements, Trump asserted that he does not believe the allegations against the Fox News star.
O'Reilly, whose comments about Water's hair were widely condemned, is now in the media spotlight after The New York Times reported that he and Fox paid five women $13 million to settle harassment or other allegations against the star pundit.
The New York Times reported last week that the cable news giant and O'Reilly had paid five women a total of $13 million in the cases spanning 15 years, in exchange for their silence and agreement not to pursue litigation against Fox News, a favourite among conservatives.
President Donald Trump expressed support Wednesday for Bill O'Reilly as advertisers continued to flee over revelations that the Fox News star settled claims of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior made against him.
21st Century Fox told the Times that O'Reilly "denies the merits of these claims", and Fox News executive vice president of advertising sales Paul Rittenberg said on Tuesday that the network is working with advertisers.
"I wonder why women at the network would take that particularly seriously", he said.
- Bill O'Reilly's top-rated Fox News show may be starting to feel a financial sting after allegations that he sexually harassed several women.
Roger Ailes, 76, who created Fox News from scratch in 1996 at the request of Rupert Murdoch, boss of the News Corp media group, was forced to resign in July 2016.
Making an appearance on MSNBC on Wednesday with Chris Hayes, Waters called O'Reilly and Trump - who defended O'Reilly during a press conference Wednesday - "two peas in a pod". The company changed its tune Friday though, telling the IndyStar they will cease advertising during "The O'Reilly Factor".
"He's an overt misogynist, he has been his entire life, and how dare he defend Bill O'Reilly", she said.
"By my count, it's already been dozens of dozens of women" who have accused Ailies, O'Reilly and others at Fox News of sexual harassment.
This press release from Donald Trump about the issue of sexual harassment is clearly not worth the paper it's printed on. But neither the company nor O'Reilly have addressed the matter since Saturday, when the New York Times first revealed the extent of settlements paid to O'Reilly's accusers. She's supposed to be the one that's standing up for women.
Host Joe Scarborough said those comments showed Trump was completely unprepared, and he blamed both the president and his staff.