Riot Causes Lockdown At Nebraska Prison


Friday morning, ACLU of Nebraska said the Thursday riot is "yet another painful reminder that Nebraska's prison system is failing our state".

An inmate serving in effect a life sentence for sexual assault and another inmate serving up to 20 years on a drug charge have been killed during a melee at the Tecumseh state prison.

Corrections Department spokeswoman Dawn-Renee Smith said the incident began around 1 p.m., when staff members reported a fire in a mini-yard connected to one of the housing units.

Following the violent incident at Tecumseh State Correctional Institution, Prison Director Scott Frakes held a press conference this afternoon to give an update on the current prison conditions.

The governor also posted a statement on Facebook, praising the response of the prison officials and saying the incident was "swiftly resolved and public safety was never at risk".

The Nebraska State Patrol is leading the criminal investigation into Thursday's riot, and the Nebraska State Fire Marshal is investigating the fires. "The TSCI staff handled the situation extremely well, which limited the incident to a small number of participants and minimal damage", said Director Scott R. Frakes. Emergency response teams arrived and took control of the housing unit at around 4:30pm, able to quell the disturbance without having to fire any weapons. Several other inmates suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

"The loss of life was tragic, but this is a unsafe place", Ricketts told reporters. "That's why they're in prison".

"These deaths continue to be unacceptable, and we (the Legislature) will have to continue to monitor them", said state Sen.

Two inmates were confirmed dead after a disturbance at the Tecumseh State Prison Thursday, prison officials said Thursday night.

"We are making progress, but this progress takes time", Watermeier said. Fitzgerald and Galindo were found inside the housing unit. It is a maximum security unit.

In the 2015 riot, inmates calling media outlets from inside the prison reported that security cameras had been destroyed.